Monday, June 9, 2008

Being an international student at IUP to become a better teacher

I was a teacher, an English teacher. Being a non-native English teacher to non-native English students in a non-tative English country leads me to this place.

1. The life at IUP: It has been good. People are good, the weather is good, and the atmosphere is good! The problem is my English proficiency. I don't think I'm illiterate to English but my ultimate goal is to be a fluent user of English - native-like level of proficiency, I hope. In four subdivisions of language, reading and writing in English is not bad, but the other two - listening and speaking are not satisfactory to me. It is always disappointing when I cannot deliver 100% of what I want to say.

2. I think I've learned a lot in terms of what to teach and how to teach in the future. But the problem is that, as an international student, I have an extra burden to take. I learn advanced theories and pedagogical practices here in the Unted States, but nowhere I can find out an application or related issues to my future teaching circumstances. This can be a "chicken-and-egg" question. Maybe this setting of my study here in the United States shows me how and what to study. I understand that as long as I plan to return to my country and become an English teacher, I have to take the extra burden and figure it out for my potential research.

3. Today's technologies are amazingly advanced to support the limitation of time and space in reality. I believe, they are quite supportive in teaching in this technoloty era. Some statistics said young poeple access their computers at least once a day and they are getting more familiarized to online intercommunications. And Korea, my country, is one of the most advanced countries of the Internet technology, so I see a lot more potentials in using online communication in teaching, particularly blogging, internet cafe, home pages, and real-time cyber lectures.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Whenever I try to speak Spanish, it is so difficult because I never have enough words to say what I mean. Since so much of our personality is reflected in our speech, when you feel speech is limited, it is hard to express who you are. Your post made me think of this, and of other issues related to second (or third or fourth or fifth) language learners.

Susanowa said...

hmm.
I agree with jenn. speaking is kind of hard thing to me due to my personality. For most international students,language problem is the important factor affecting their learning.